Re: A question for the list...

From: Jimi Thompson (jimitat_private)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 16:00:35 PDT

    At 5:55 PM -0400 5/20/03, Gary Flynn wrote:
    >Kevin Reardon wrote:
    >
    >>It is an interesting topic.
    >>
    >>Is this proposal a vaccine, or could it unleash such collateral damage
    >>as to make the Internet useless?
    >>
    >Reminds me of the debate over the swine flu vaccine in the 70's.
    >
    >Perhaps we need a Center for Disease Control or World Health
    >Organization for the Internet with the power to quarantine, mass
    >vaccinate, etc.

    And who gets to choose who gets on the Internet-version of the WHO?
    Who pays for it?  What if I'm Chinese and everyone on there is from
    the USA?  I might not want a bunch of foreign nationals telling me I
    have to install software "or else".  What if I'm the USA and everyone
    on there is from Iran, Sudan, Syria, and Libya?   I might not want
    the software they are offering either.  You set us on a slippery
    slope.

    That's like saying euthanasia is ok.  The next thing becomes who gets
    to decide who gets "put down".

    I personally favor litigation.  If your server attacks mine, I get to
    sue you.  If you dog attacked me, I'd get to sue you.  If an employee
    of a company attacks me physically, I sue the company.  If a server
    at a company attacks my network, I should get to sue that company.
    The company, in turn, can sue the IT professional for incompetence if
    they can be shown to meet the legal definition of negligent.
    --
    Thanks,

    Ms. Jimi Thompson, CISSP, Rev.

    "Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
    governed by those who are dumber." --Plato