Re: A question for the list...

From: Jimi Thompson (jimitat_private)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 15:39:12 PDT

    ><SNIP>
    >
    >At last year's Blackhat conference in Las Vegas, Tim Mullen presented what
    >turned out to be a very controversial proposal. Briefly, he questioned why
    >it would be inappropriate to strike back and disable (if not remove) a
    >worm from hosts that are clearly not being adequately managed.
    </SNIP>

    I have isolate the item above since it contains the gist of your
    question.  My personal feeling is that sooner or later the owners of
    the mis-managed devices in question will be held to the legal
    definition of negligence which covers the "failure to take safe
    guards used by a reasonable and prudent individual".  As a former
    claims adjustor, I have considerable experience with this particular
    bit of legal doctrine, so I feel fairly confident in speaking about
    it.   If someone else is an attorney, please correct me if I am in
    error.

    Juries tend to hold professionals to a MUCH higher standard than the
    general public.  IT professions who do not patch and manage their
    gear in accordance with generally accepted industry standard may well
    find themselves not only out of a job, but out of a lot of money.
    Negligence by a "professional", at least in Texas, allows the
    employer, when sued, to litigate against the individual under
    "malfeasance of duty".  There are many precedents from other fields
    for this - HMO's who were sued and have in turn sued the doctor they
    employed, Firms that have sued individual accountants whom they
    employed, etc.  It is only a matter of time until this bleeds over in
    to IT.  Personally, I would welcome it as it would greatly reduce the
    number of nimrods in our profession.

    My contention is that we should be litigating against the people who
    are attacking our networks.  Out with the notion that "they cannot
    help it".  When the patch has been out for year, and very few people
    have applied it, something drastic needs to be changed.   Companies
    will not pay attention to and address this issue adequately until it
    impacts their bottom line.  When some high-up manager doesn't get his
    usual fat bonus because his company had to pay out a large
    settlement, things will start to change and rather quickly.
    --
    Thanks,

    Ms. Jimi Thompson, CISSP, Rev.

    "Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
    governed by those who are dumber." --Plato