Stukach Trojaned SysReg.exe

From: Information Security (InformationSecurityat_private)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 13:48:06 PDT

    Picked up a Norton alert for an infected SysReg.exe file.  I think the new
    definitions identified a file that was laid down a few days before.  The
    trojan is a version of stukach
    (http://www.glocksoft.com/trojan_list/Stukach.htm,
    http://www.ntsecurity.net/Panda/Index.cfm?FuseAction=Virus&VirusID=27),
    49,152 bytes.  I haven't yet been able to identify the payload.  Intersting
    strings from the file:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IExplore\AID
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IExplore\ID
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IExplore\
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\SysReg
    http://tp.searchseekfind.com/cgi-bin/TPS/Checkin.pl?ID=%s&Affid=%s&Connectio
    nType=%d&Version=%d
    open
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IExplore\%s

    There's some coincidental time stamps and info on the infected machines that
    make me believe this may be in some way linked to weatherbug--possibly
    through one of their popups.

    Any correlation would be helpful.  Still looking for more info.

    Thanks!