Re: Possible Intrusion Attempt?

From: Stewart (bdlistsat_private)
Date: Mon May 26 2003 - 12:33:48 PDT

    Rob Shein wrote:

    > I'm a little fuzzy about this part...how do you prevent people from
    > accepting HTML mail, and considering how many mail clients out there send it
    > by default, what do you do when all of a sudden a large percentage of people
    > can't email you anymore?

    Probably in a similar fashion that you would solve the problem of e-mail
    attachments [1]no longer accepted per default (about 90% of them are
    blocked) in the (arguably) most commonly used mail client, the Microsoft
    Outlook family. Microsoft seems to have removed the paragraph that was
    most interesting to me, in which they decreed that future versions of
    Outlook (Express) would completely disallow attachments altogether.

    It's just one of those things that went horrifically wrong with e-mail,
    and changes need to be grandfathered in. Perhaps in answer to your
    question, an auto-response detailing the security problems inherrant to
    most HTML e-mail with references detailing how to change the default
    behaviour in most popular mail clients would be in order.

    [1]: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q329570

    --
    http://www.snerk.org/