Re: Dameware Malcode? Is anyone aware of it?

From: John Ives (jivesat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 05 2003 - 09:43:58 PDT

    At 06:31 PM 6/4/2003 +0000, John wrote:
    >Is anyone aware of the existence of Dameware malcode that makes use of
    >Damaware mini-remote control to provide an attacker with backdoor access
    >to systems?

    I've never seen a piece of malware that used dameware, however I have found
    machines that had been compromised which had dameware.  In fact we had a
    series of them last year. Being an educational institution we have few
    controls over any non-staff end users, so when I have found dameware (or
    most other breaches for that matter), they usually turned out to be boxes
    with poor/no passwords, default builds of IIS or some other easily
    compromised issue (and usually without logging turned on so I was left to
    best guess the cause).

    John

    John Ives, GCWN
    Systems Administrator
    College of Chemistry
    (510) 643-1033

    "If you spend more on coffee than on IT security,  Then you will be hacked.
    What's more,  you deserve to be hacked."   - Richard Clarke

    Any opinions expressed are my own and not those of the Regents of the
    University of California.