RE: Dameware Malcode? Is anyone aware of it?

From: John Costa (johnccostaat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 05 2003 - 19:30:43 PDT

    Thanks to all for the replies/feedback. Anyway, If
    anyone has recently experienced any issues related to
    Dameware or Dameware malcode, whatever you want to
    call it, please share with the List.

    The issue that I experienced was with a windows 2000
    desktop which was taken over a couple of days ago.
    When the admin called me to investigate I immediately
    noticed something strange, including the mouse pointer
    was moving on its own. Anyway, I learned that dameware
    can install itself, all the attacker needs is access
    to port 139 or 445 and an administrator account with a
    weak password. The affected Windows machine was a test
    machine which had a default password and userID and
    didn't have a personal firewall installed. That was
    the perfect environment for the malicious individual
    to install the dameware backdoor.

    --- Gerald Cody Bunch <gbunchat_private> wrote: > While
    it is entirely possible that there is a Trojan
    > of sorts that may
    > use this as a payload,
    > it has been my experience that Dameware NT
    > utilities, is pretty kosher.
    > The Dameware NT Utilities
    > Suite of applications (http://www.dameware.com/)
    > includes a feature to
    > force install the mini-remote control client
    > Onto a desktop machine, however the user performing
    > the remote install
    > must already have local
    > administrative rights to the computer to receive the
    > remote control
    > client.  It is my understanding that
    > The authentication that this package uses also
    > requires a user name and
    > password of sorts on the remote system.
    >
    > Check http://www.dameware.com/ for any further
    > questions.