Re: Odd windows ICMP... any ideas what this is?

From: Jonathan Clark (jon_clarkat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 09 2003 - 11:01:54 PDT

    I have come across this before as well.  This is not unusual traffic for a
    Win2k environment.  It's a windows client doing a speed test of its network
    connection to determine if a group policy should be applied or a roaming
    profile downloaded.    I saw these large ICMP packets containing that JPEG
    mostly from dial-up users who have slower connections, and always three in a
    row.    The JPEG, if you haven't already looked at it, is a picture of the
    word "Microsoft" and it's incomplete.

    For information on this, check Microsoft knowledgebase article 227260
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=227260).

    - Jonathan