nscd poisoning?

From: Michael Loftis (mloftisat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 22:15:50 PDT

    I just experienced a very scary thing.   An nscd instance on an
    internal/mostly private machine picked up a bogus entry for localhost
    matching the address 203.0.37.125 -- which the net admin there has
    reversing to localhost.  It seems to me we have a hacker with some sort of
    new attack possibly?

    The system is an RH7.3 base, with latest patches.  As far as I know there
    aren't any obvious vulns in the system here, and the information didn't
    come from LDAP as the servers replication logs NEVER mentioned that
    information, ever.

    I know that there are some solutions to this (including editing
    nsswitch.conf) but I wanted to know if anyone else has seen this?  Replies
    off-list or on-list (though I have a hard time following all the list
    traffic...)