Re: Strange CONNECT entries in apache logs

From: Thomas Jensen (securityfocusat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2003 - 13:58:06 PDT

    Christine Kronberg wrote:

    [status 200 on CONNECT]

    >   I see the same, when people try to use my apache as proxy. But
    >   my index page has always the same size (I do not alter each day :-) ).
    >   The entries above show a big difference in the transferred bytes.

    That is true, I didn't notice that.
    However, a dynamic PHP page could vary quite a bit.
    I think the sensible thing to do is to check in each case whether it's a
    misconfigured proxy or simply a PHP4 bug.
    I almost paniced and shut down our webserver when I saw the entries in
    the log :-)

    >>I have found several references to this being a PHP4 bug, which can
    >>happen when you have an index.php file and a DirectoryIndex index.php
    >>directive in you Apache conf.
    >

    >   As I don't have php, do you also see a hop in the transferred bytes?
    >   Or is that stable?

    It's mostly stable in my case - I can track the variations in size to
    the changes that I've made to the DB that drives the page.
    But, on a blog type site, I whould imagine the variations would be
    bigger and more frequent.

    Best regards
    Thomas Jensen