RE: Windows 2k rootkit incident

From: Drew Weaver (drewat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2003 - 16:47:58 PDT

    Basically the box was locking up. I logged into it and noticed the patch
    level was way behind, I immediately became suspicious and Port scanned
    it, sure enough there was an FXP daemon listening on PORT 444, from
    there I ran FPORT to determine the name of the file that was listening
    on 444 it was secsrvc.exe, that's where I hit the brick wall, because
    secsrvc.exe didn't exist, then just for kicks I did some reading about
    NT rootkits and tried the 'rename' trick. So I renamed a file secsrvc,
    and it vanished. Then I ascertained that something must be hiding files
    with that extension from various parts of my system, so I made a new
    copy of regedit, taskmgr and cmd all with the prefix secsrvr
    (secsrvrregedit.exe) then I was able to see everything that was
    affected, it installed itself as two services, one was called XGA and
    the other one was called 'Secure Routing'. Both obvious shams.