Re: Patched IIS/frontpage host compromised 7-1-2003

From: John Leach (johnat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 16 2003 - 08:49:06 PDT

    Hi April,

    Could the box have been compromised in between updates, and not noticed
    until now?

    how was "visibility to the Internet" enforced?

    My usual recommendation is to deny outbound access by default and open
    only what's necessary (which at a guess wouldn't need to include TFTP
    for example).

    And maybe the backdoors and secret FTP servers are just better hidden on
    your Apache servers ;)

    It's important to find out how the host was compromised so you can
    implement countermeasures and plug the holes.  Before formatting you
    should take a copy of the hard drive, at the very least the internet
    services logs.

    John.

    --
    GPG KEY: B89C D450 5B2C 74D8 58FB A360 9B06 B5C2 26F0 3047
       HTTP: http://www.johnleach.co.uk