Re: Scan of TCP 552-554

From: Frank Knobbe (fknobbeat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 16:10:30 PDT

    On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 02:08, Bill McCarty wrote:
    > What might it be looking for on TCP 552-553 and, more particularly, why
    > might a scanner interested in RTSP also scan those ports? The ports are
    > registered for use by deviceshare and PIRP (Public Information Retrieval
    > Protocol). But, I don't suspect that the scanner is interested in those
    > services, since they don't seem to be associated with RTSP. Could the
    > scanner simply be comparing the response for port 554 with those for the
    > other ports, in order to assess possible firewall rules?

    Exactly. It's a common practice (at least in my shop :p) to scan so that
    you hit the ports you want to scan for and hope to be open, and then
    ports that have a good probability of being closed. That way you can
    examine the responses and see if and what type of filtering goes on.

    For example, if you do a TCP scan from port 135 to port 140 on a Windows
    box, and you receive nothing on 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, but a TCP Reset
    on 140, there is a high probability that an admin only put a firewall
    rules in place that simply says 'drop 135-139' to cover the RPC/NetBIOS
    range, but left the system otherwise unprotected, with Windows sending a
    Reset on port 140. (Of course you might want to confirm by 'pinging' a
    couple other closed ports, like port 109 or something).

    It is always good to get the 'full picture' of what a target looks like.
    Known negatives are just as useful as known positives.

    Regards,
    Frank