Re: Scan of TCP 552-554

From: Justin Pryzby (justinpryzbyat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 11:40:16 PDT

    > Lemme do same diet-quoting here.
    >
    > You are right, of course. The thing I'm attempting is to make them
    > hit my traps faster, so I can react faster. And, as I said, I don't
    > think we should use the same method everywhere. Sametime I use
    > DROP, sometimes I use tcp-reset and sometimes, icmp-replies.

    How about ACCEPT?  Now you, too, can appear to have 65536 opened ports!
    [http://www.sf.net/projects/protowatch/].  Obviously, this is serious
    honeypot-only material.  Use this only on a dedicated machine.  Said
    machine can be easily DOSd.

    It will also allow you to see really neat stuff.  It found a compromized
    machine at my school spewing out packets *immediately*; just took me 2
    extra hours to wake up.  And then it took IT the better part of a week
    to pull the plug.  Also, lots of the log entries are from compromized
    machines.  Please be nice and email the owners.

    Justin