RE: /tmp/pdk ?

From: De Doncker, Steve (steveat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 04 2003 - 08:37:23 PDT

    Sander Smeenk <mailto:ssmeenk freshdot net> scribbled on Sunday, August 03,
    2003 20:17 PM:

    > Has anyone ever encountered a directory 'pdk' in /tmp holding 6 .so
    > files, all named after the md5sum of the contents of each file? It is
    > the second time I found these files, and i'm a bit curious now. I can
    > not remember putting them there, with these weird permissions etc.

    It is part of the "Perl Dev Kit", notably PerlCtrl [1]

    Following is taken from the User's Guide [2]

    <snip>
    "When the control built with PerlCtrl runs, it will extract its dynamic
    object files in the /tmp/pdk directory. If the control was built using
    the --clean option, PerlCtrl will also append the process id to this
    directory name to avoid race conditions during cleanup. The directory
    location can be overridden with the TMPDIR environment variable. On Windows
    the TEMP environment variable is used to override the location. It is also
    possible to hardcode the location with the --tmpdir commandline option.

    Unless the --clean option is used, extracted files will be left behind when
    the control terminates and then reused by later incarnations of the same
    control (or by other PDK-created executables)."
    </snip>

    [1] http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ASPNTOC-PERLDEVKIT/
    [2] http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Products/PDK/PerlCtrl/What.html

    Cheers,