Stumbler: Reserved IP 73.247.223.148 scan source

From: Curt Wilson (netw3_securityat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 14:51:23 PDT

    Seeing scans from 73.247.223.148, src port 23807, dest
    port 36947 TCP over the last couple of months.

    This looks like the Stumbler trojan/scanner due to
    windows size 55808, sack OK and WScale = 2. However, I
    was under the impression that Stumbler used random
    source addreses when spoofing connections. I've seen
    this particular IANA reserved source address
    74.247.223.148 for a couple of months on some of my
    Black Ice sensors. The source port is always 23807, and
    destination is always 36947. I can't find any
    references for this port but of course it could be any
    old trojan, nc listener, or anything.

    There were a couple of legitimate source 12.0.0.0/8
    systems attempting to find the same destination port
    36947. Maybe spoofed, looked like more stumbler
    traffic. These psuedo-legitimate connections were
    "from" different source IP's but used the same source
    and dest port.

    This could be from some variant of Stumbler or perhaps
    a version that's had some bugfixes applied, or some
    other tool riding the same wave.

    This is probably not new information, however I have
    not seen mention of specific port patterns wrt stumbler
    or the 55808 traffic.

    Curt Wilson
    Netw3 Security
    www.netw3.c0|\/|