[Full-Disclosure] Re: [Dshield] new msblaster on the loose?

From: John Sage (jsageat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 12:16:37 PDT

    arrggg...

    On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 10:23:23AM -0700, David Vincent wrote:
    > anyone else seeing this?
    >
    > ---------------
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11018
    >
    > New version of Blaster worm on the loose
    > Already
    >
    > By INQUIRER staff: Wednesday 13 August 2003, 16:51
    > KASPERSKY LABS claimed this afternoon that there's already a new
    > version of the Blaster/Lovesan worm on the loose.

    the Inquirer..

    Kaspersky...

    Two of the most sober, most credible, most consistent authorities I
    can think of.

    <troll on>
    The only person that I'd put greater value in, if I was to hear a
    comment about all this, would be something from Steve Gibson.
    </troll off>

    > And it says that's likely to mean a repeat of the outbreak we've
    > seen during this week. The new variety of Lovesan exploits the same
    > vulnerability.
    >
    > Kaspersky says that the number of infected systems is around the
    > 300,000  mark, and the new variety may double this number.

    Bullsh1t..

    C'mon folks, think about this a bit.

    Changing the name of the executable does *not* make a variant of any
    significance.

    You can call it foo.exe or bar.exe and if it does absolutely the same
    thing, the name change is irrelevant...

    ...except to set off those self-serving companies who are trying to
    get some press out of all this:

    "Trend-mantec releases a press report noting the fifteen variant of
    the Win32-blah_blah worm, using a executable
    "self-serving-publicity.exe". Video of the press conference at
    eleven!!!"

    ...and to those who think they're safe if they have an up-to-date
    snort signature:

    "Oh my gawd.. I just put the snort rule that catches "p3n1s32.exe" and
    now those bad script kiddies have switched to "teek_bar.exe"...

    Let me give you a clue: they're just playing with your head.

    > "In the worst case, the world community can face a global Internet
    > slow down and regional disruption... to the World Wide Web," said
    > Eugene Kaspersky, head of the labs.

    Give me a break...

    Yeah, I'll bet he said it, to anyone who'd listen.

    Let's rename it "warhol_worm.exe" and watch the experts freak...

    - John
    --
    "Obviously, we do not want to leave zombies around."
    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.