RE: msblast.exe --> DDoS against windowsupdate.com (research)

From: Christopher Lyon (cslyonat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 23:57:44 PDT

    I did infect a machine with msblaster (Windows XP straight out of the
    box) and put the machine behind a cheapy firewall using private
    addresses. I was able to get out to the internet but I did end up
    blocking everything from this host outbound. Figured I didn't want to
    contribute spreading this thing. I confirmed that the host was running
    the virus and trying to go outbound on 135. Once I did that, I put the
    clock at 23:59 on the 15th and waited. Nothing happened so @ 00:15 I
    rebooted, once I rebooted, that is when the DoS started to happen. Maybe
    I need to wait longer or maybe it needs to restart msblaster. All you
    will see in port 80 connections going to windowsupdate.com. That is
    either 204.79.188.11 or 204.79.188.12. So, when it starts it does a
    query for windowsupdate.com and which ever IP address it gets first that
    is what it hits. You won't see your own source for the DoS either, that
    will be generated. Since my PC was on a 192.168.252.0, it was generating
    them for 192.168.x.x. That seems to be typical, the first two octets
    from your local host and the second two it generates.

    Note: There are no DNS storms created by the DoS and the port scanning
    for port 135 keeps going. The spreading of the virus keeps going in
    other words.

    Hope this helps.

    Good luck,
    Christopher Lyon
    Sr. Security Development Engineer
    Affant Communication (formerly DNS Network Services)
    v: 714-338-7106
    f: 714-338-7101
    cslyonat_private