Re: rpc dcom worm and windowsupdate

From: Tim (delamatretat_private)
Date: Sat Aug 16 2003 - 06:10:22 PDT

    I know this is probably moot since Microsoft has cleaned up their DNS
    record, but did anyone actually test setting the DNS record to loopback
    before recommending it?

    We did test this in an isolated subnet.  Everyone is right that the TCP
    SYN no longer goes out to windowsupdate.com, but now a TCP RST is sent to
    the random source IP used by the worm.  Since the random source addresses
    are based on the PC's own IP, the PC was now spraying packets all over in
    your own network.

    Depending on your routing setup, this would probably have been more
    harmful (to end users) than just letting it try to go to Microsoft and
    blocking it at your firewall.

    -Tim

    Captus Networks - Integrated Intrusion Prevention and Traffic Shaping
     - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
     - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
     - Ensure Reliable Performance of Mission Critical Applications
     - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security and Performance Policies
    **FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit - WhitePapers - Live Demo
    Visit us at:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CaptusNetworks_incidents_030814