Re: possible 0-day exploit for latest Real-/Helixserver 9.0.2.794

From: Juri Haberland (juriat_private)
Date: Sat Aug 16 2003 - 13:24:50 PDT

    Mark Tinberg wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Juri Haberland wrote:
    >
    >> /sbin/init had nearly the same timestamp (Aug 12 23:17:29 2003) as the
    >> following log entry from the Realserver's rmerror.log file:
    >>
    >> ***12-Aug-03 23:18:12.471 rmserver(11402): Server automatically restarted
    >> due to fatal error condition
    >
    > From this it would seem most likely to be an exploit of the rmserver
    > process.  Check to see if there is an unpatched SecurityFocus BID for
    > RealServer otherwise you were probably comprimised with an
    > as-yet-publicly-unknown exploit.  I'd try working with Real.com and see if
    > they'll provide any help (well, here's to hoping 8^)

    I checked SecurityFocus before sending my initial mail. Let's see what
    Real.com has to say.

    > If you can find a live copy of the exploit used on the system, for example
    > if your system was used to attack others, that'd be very helpful.

    Unfortunately there was nothing else other than rootkit.

    Cheers,
    Juri

    Captus Networks - Integrated Intrusion Prevention and Traffic Shaping
     - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
     - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
     - Ensure Reliable Performance of Mission Critical Applications
     - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security and Performance Policies
    **FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit - WhitePapers - Live Demo
    Visit us at:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CaptusNetworks_incidents_030814