Re: Software vendor clueless

From: Schneider Sebastian (sesat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 17 2003 - 14:56:43 PDT

    Jeff,

    regarding to host hardening, I hope the administrative accounts are not the
    Windows default ones (Administrator). If so, these need to be renamed to make
    exploits more difficult for attackers.
    It's kind of easy to identify WinNT / W2k administrative accounts since their
    SID ends with 500. If additional levels of host hardening are not applied, an
    attacker could easily search for an administrative account with a tool
    (sid2user, http://www.securityfocus.com/tools/544) to locate the account
    name.
    If the short passwords are set for convenience of that vendor, you should
    check if they need administrative rights to fix their own problems. Maybe
    they can be placed into a less privileged group in order to do their
    maintenance stuff.
    This is another point regarding your password issue, that could be helpful
    when talking to that very spokesman.

    Also, you should check if the rules in your firewall(s)/router's ACLs are
    tightened regarding source ip/destination ip and ports for their remote
    access.

    It might be helpful to consult your client's Security Policy for it should
    contain password restrictions, which have been set to mitigate risks.
    This is an important point, since they hold sensitive/confidential data.

    Usually, VPNs are taken into place to minimize the risk of
    exposure/unauthorized access.

    On Saturday 16 August 2003 23:26, Kirt Cathey wrote:

    > Also, try to have the client present when you explain these items.
    the last point is so much important, since your client is getting aware of
    that real security issue.

    > 1) That the clients setup is very insecure for the following reasons
    > 	a) The admin password is too short
    > 	b) The admin password does not contain special characters
    > 	c) The admin password should be changed regularly

    passwords that have been in use already should be added to a password
    history to prevent using these again. please make sure, that passwords should
    have a minimum age as well as a maximum age. If the servers keep sensitive
    informations as you pointed out, new passwords mustn't be similar to previous
    ones to prevent that vendor from setting passwords like abc$01, abc$02 and so
    on

    > 2) The current information security environment. VIGILANCE IS NO LONGER AN
    > OPTION.

    this is also an issue about costs, what should be important to your client's
    efforts in minimizing costs

    Kindest Regards,
    Sebastian

    --
    straightLiners IT Consulting & Services
    Sebastian Schneider

    Phone: +49-30-3510-6168
    Fax: +49-30-3510-6169

    Captus Networks - Integrated Intrusion Prevention and Traffic Shaping
     - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
     - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
     - Ensure Reliable Performance of Mission Critical Applications
     - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security and Performance Policies
    **FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit - WhitePapers - Live Demo
    Visit us at:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CaptusNetworks_incidents_030814