RE: Software vendor clueless

From: Thomas.Rayat_private
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 15:49:21 PDT

    I'm a few days behind since I only get the digest, but I noticed that only
    one other person pointed it out.

    This is not a matter of 'confronting' the vendor, this is an issue of legal
    liability. Based on my interpretation of the original post, it sounds like
    the network for a legal firm (lawyers) may be wide open. If that is the
    case,then depending on where this firm is located, they could be in serious
    trouble for not protecting the confidentiality of their work between
    themselves and their clients. That confidentiality extends to all things;
    email, financial records, and any other work product associated between
    legal firm and client.  That could lead to being censured by the legal
    regulatory firm in their state/location.

    You have several choices.
    1 - talk to the legal firm and make sure they understand the consequences of
    leaving the relay open. if there is a relay open, there probably will be
    other things open. in which case I would hazard a guess that they have not
    done any pen-testing or, at the least, scanning of their firewall/LAN. (very
    bad practice)

    2 - leave it alone. you gave them fair warning, in writing, and they have
    decided to ignore you

    3 - talk to the vendor and ask him why he is doing things his way. if he is
    being asinine, then turn around and tell your customer the situation and
    then further inform your customer that this will put restrictions on the
    quality of the service you render them and that due to the situation you can
    make no guarantees whatsoever about the state of their network unless this
    problem is resolved. in fact, if the situation is bad enough, I would advise
    you to drop them as a customer (with several weeks notice) because you do
    _not_ want to be in a situation where you have to clean up after they
    ignored your recommendations.

    good luck,
    tom

    Captus Networks - Integrated Intrusion Prevention and Traffic Shaping
     - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
     - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
     - Ensure Reliable Performance of Mission Critical Applications
     - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security and Performance Policies
    **FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit - WhitePapers - Live Demo
    Visit us at:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CaptusNetworks_incidents_030814