Re: Increasing ICMP Echo Requests

From: Kevin Patz (jambo_catat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 13:39:41 PDT

    According to Symantec's writeup, the infection
    sequence is as follows:

    1.  The attacking machine scans IP ranges by sending
    ICMP Echo (ping) requests.  Addresses that respond to
    the ping are targeted.  These pings have a 64-byte
    data payload of 64 bytes of hex AA. (these can be
    identified on a firewall or sniffer).
    2.  The attacking machine will attempt to exploit the
    target machine on either TCP port 135 (MS RPC exploit)
    or 80 (IIS WebDAV exploit).
    3.  Once exploited, a remote shell is created on the
    target machine.  Unlike Blaster, this shell initiates
    the connection on the target back to the attacker, on
    a random TCP port between 666 and 765.
    4.  The attacking machine initiates a TFTP server, and
    instructs the target machine to connect and download
    dllhost.exe and svchost.exe.  Once again, this is an
    outbound connection from the target to the attacker.
    5.  The target machine sets up the downloaded files as
    services and starts them, and attempts to spread the
    worm from that point.

    Since many firewalls are configured to block inbound
    connections but allow outbound, this allows the worm
    to get past a firewall through a vulnerable web server
    that has port 80 open on the firewall.  The subsequent
    remote shell and TFTP connections are outbound, so
    unless these are blocked, the worm can get past the
    firewall and into a supposedly "secure" network.

    KJP

    --- "Logan Rogers-Follis - TNTNetworx.net"
    <loganat_private> wrote:
    > My questions is then.  How does it get into a secure
    > network other than
    > e-mail, when nop machines are taken in and out fo
    > the network?  It has
    > to spread orignally through something other than
    > TFTP...?

    =====
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people asking them.

    http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

    Captus Networks - Integrated Intrusion Prevention and Traffic Shaping
     - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
     - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
     - Ensure Reliable Performance of Mission Critical Applications
     - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security and Performance Policies
    **FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit - WhitePapers - Live Demo
    Visit us at:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CaptusNetworks_incidents_030814