Re: lots of sobig virus emails.

From: Rich Puhek (rpuhekat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 08:16:24 PDT

    Kee Hinckley wrote:
    > At 9:44 AM -0700 8/19/03, wirepair wrote:
    >
    >> heh anyone else seeing this or am i being targeted. Getting a lot of
    >> bounce backs saying i'm sending off virii which is impossible because
    >> i'm not infected. It also looks like i'm getting a ton from 'security
    >> peoples' email
    >

    > Join the club.  My account and lots of other accounts at somewhere.com
    > are getting innundated.  I'm getting far more "you sent a virus"
    > warnings than the viruses themselves.  Which is completely irresponsible
    > on the part of the anti-virus vendors.  They know this virus forges the
    > from address, they shouldn't be sending mail to the from address.  Never
    > mind the ones that send mail to postmaster of the domain as well as the
    > "user".  The fact that most of these "helpful" messages read far more
    > like an advertisement for the anti-virus software than anything truly
    > helpful, makes me wonder whether the companies aren't deliberately
    > avoiding fixing this misfeature.

    What I found in my config (Amavis+(clamav&&trophie&&sophie) was that the
    virus signature files weren't up to date (auto-update once every 24
    hours didn't quite do it this time). As a result, only the unsafe
    attachment rules got triggered until I manually updated my virus signatures.

    In my Amavis config (mostly default), the sender of a banned filename is
    notified, resulting in the embarrasing participation in a worm Joe Job.
    Once Amavis saw the emails as containing a virus/worm, it stopped
    notifying the sender.

    --Rich

    Rich Puhek
    ETN Systems Inc.
    2125 1st Ave East
    Hibbing MN 55746

    tel:   218.262.1130
    email: rpuhekat_private

    Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training),
    October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world's premier
    technical IT security event.  Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in
    Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors.
    Symantec is the Diamond sponsor.  Early-bird registration ends September 6.Visit us: www.blackhat.com