Re: lots of sobig virus emails.

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Mon Aug 25 2003 - 07:50:08 PDT

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:26:49 +0800, Toh Hong Kuan said:
    > Yes, the amount of auto-response mails from AV products and virus mails from
    > infected PCs to our service mail account is flooding that mailbox and
    > choking our mail servers, that we're even considering changing that email
    > address!

    Take an hour and look at the headers.

    I had captured 4,057 SoBig-F, and analyzing the headers showed only 189
    distinct sources.  One source was 1015 of them, #2 was 663.  The 8 sources over
    100 items each accounted for 2,524, and the next 10 over 40 each brought it up
    to 3,164.  So if I smack some sense into 18 losers,  75% of my problem goes
    away.

    I'm willing to bet that the *same* machines that are hitting other sites and
    causing AV bounces to your site are also sending you direct SoBig-F claiming to
    be somebody else - I've yet to see a bounce for a SoBig claiming to be me that
    wasn't from one of those 189 sources, and most were from that same "top 8"
    list.

    What to look for:

    1) Examine mail for a header:  X-MailScanner: Found to be clean
    This is a very likely sign that it's a SoBig (yes, it's also from a AV package, but
    if you're seeing it, it's 98% sure it'sSoBig).

    2) Find the *first* Received: line - that will be the *bottom* one (they get added
    bottom-to-top).  It will look like:

    Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 07:31:56 +0700
    From: kondorat_private

    See that 'from LUISA'?  SoBig always uses a one-token hostname.   The *real*
    hostname and IP address are tacked on by my system so I know to go complain to
    the wonderful guys at gte.net.

    And yes, 'LUISA' is both in my top-8 list and one of the major sources of things
    claiming to be from me - so soon as the guys at gte.net (hopefully) swat it, I'll
    get less backscatter as well.. ;)