Outgoing connections to Port 22226 and 22227

From: Gereon Volker (gvolkerat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 02:19:01 PDT

    Hallo

    Over the past couple days I've noticed an increase in outgoing connections
    from port range 1033-1040 to port 22226 or 22227 on my Windows 2000
    honeypot (no service packs or hot fixes applied). Port 135 connections are
    dropped by the firewall.

    All "attacks" start scanning port 445 and port 139.

    Some of the attacks kill the rpc-daemon others leave a file
    (winhlpp32.exe) in the system32 directory (known from W32.HLLW.Gaobot.P).

    Most of the IP addresses are Dial-Up accounts.

    No keys were written in the registry.

    Has anybody else seen similar things?

    Sorry for my lame english.

    Gereon

    Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training),
    October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world's premier
    technical IT security event.  Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in
    Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors.
    Symantec is the Diamond sponsor.  Early-bird registration ends September 6.Visit us: www.blackhat.com