GACI item list - to give some items for discussion

From: richard offer (offerat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 10:39:06 PDT

    * $ from aoat_private at "12-Apr:10:22am" | sed "1,$s/^/* /"
    *
    *
    * Hi!
    *
    * Please take this as a base list for things to be discussed.
    *
    * Personally, I do believe that a module interface will be insufficient for
    * RSBAC, SELinux and some other projects.
    *
    * Amon.
    *
    * -----------------------------
    *
    * Already agreed (?)
    * ------------------
    *
    * - Pure mechanism without implied policy
    *
    * - Kernel level interface
    *
    * - Optional user space interface:
    *    - Hooks into kernel level interface
    *    - Compile time flag: not included, module, compiled in
    *    - Functionally as much as possible the same as kernel level interface

    Being a girlie user-land sort of person, "optional" doesn't quite cut it,
    applications must be able to determine if a given action is acceptable under a
    given policy without performing it.

    Applications need to make security decisions too. One of the things that I've
    been looking at in my oh so copious spare time, is that of Trusted X Windows.

    A typical MLS window system is easy, but I got to talking to Robert Watson (of
    Trusted BSD) and the NSA guys at a conference and it seems that the
    architecture should be extended to cover non-MLS policies.

    APIs that can scale to the all the possible policies isn't.

    Then I got distracted by real work.

    richard.

    Richard Offer                         Technical Lead, Trust Technology.
    "Specialization is for insects"