Re: intercepting system calls

From: David Wagner (dawat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 16:14:59 PDT

    Casey Schaufler  wrote:
    >In some implementations of Mandatory Access Control
    >checks are done on every operation just in case the
    >MAC label changed after the open.

    I see.  Suppose our hooks had the following properties:
      1. For modules that mediate every read()/write() call,
         they can do so, but performance might be affected due
         to the unavoidable overhead of a function call.
      2. Modules that don't want to mediate any read()/write()
         calls won't incur any noticeable performance overhead.
    If both properties could be achieved with some mechanism,
    would this be sufficient to support these MAC applications?