Re: Hooking into Linux using the Linux Trace Toolkit

From: Greg KH (gregat_private)
Date: Sat Apr 14 2001 - 17:30:13 PDT

    On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 03:57:45AM -0400, Karim Yaghmour wrote:

    > Hello Everyone,
    >
    > I'd like to point out that there has been a hooking capability
    > available for Linux for quite a while within the patch provided
    > with the Linux Trace Toolkit (http://www.opersys.com/LTT).
    > Amongst other things, there is a standard interface to hooking
    > to almost anything major pertaining to security within the
    > kernel (system calls, reads, writes, opens, etc.).

    LTT is nice, but doesn't really work for a security module to use, as
    there is no way to influence what happens after the hook is called.  A
    security module needs to be able to stop the access to a file by a
    process, stop the execution of a syscall, etc.  Not just provide system
    accounting (which is what LTT does.)

    Although everyplace LTT hooks, is probably a good place for us to also
    hook :)

    greg k-h

    --
    greg@(kroah|wirex).com