Re: Specifications (the beginning)

From: F. Voegel (security@cssc-inc.com)
Date: Sun Apr 15 2001 - 03:41:08 PDT

    Hi,

    > Philippe Biondi wrote:
    >
    >    * Put it in a .conf file:
    >         o Janus and SubDomain do this.  Subdomain by default reads that kind of
    >           information from the files found in /etc/subdomain.d/* .  Janus does
    >           something similar, but I'm not up on the particulars.  I suspect LIDS
    >           does this, but I don't know.
    >         o Supporting "read a conf file" requires that the module have some way to
    >           read a file from within the kernel, which is actually rather hard.
    >           SubDomain kludges this with a funny ioctl, but it's gross.
    >         o There are also security issues involved in who may cause the conf file
    >           to be read, because the attacker may hack the file and induce a reload.
    >           Thus the security module itself must have control over who may cause a
    >           reload.
    >         o I suggest that we add an explicit feature for LSM modules to read
    >           configuration files.  The stimulus to read the file would come from
    >           user-land, but must be viewed as a request, not a commandment.  The
    >           request must come with a bunch of authenication data, so that the LSM
    >           module can properly consider the request.
    >         o Adding a single system call for "read your conf file now" would be one
    >           way.  The system call could have arguments that specify things like the
    >           secuity identity of the requestor (other than UID, PID, etc.) and
    >           perhaps cryptographic credentials.

    Can you specify why this is a job not better done by the modules themselves?
    You are right to assume that lids uses a config file too, which is

    (/etc/lids/lids.[cap|conf|pw|net|cap])

    It comes with an administration tool that allows to make changes to that files
    after entering a password.

    I think this is a good solution - for this implementation. I think a lot of
    people will not like the idea of having to use a standard mechanism to access
    their configuration data, and if theres no good reason to implement such a
    mechanism, I think we should leave it away. If people insist on doing their own
    checks on who is authorized to reload, maybe with a more fine-grained
    authentication idea in mind than we do now, this would propose a serious
    drawback...

    What do you think?

    Florian Voegel
    CSSC Inc.