Re: Benchmarks (was Re: Hooking into Linux using the LTT)

From: Karim Yaghmour (karymat_private)
Date: Sun Apr 15 2001 - 18:57:24 PDT

    Crispin Cowan wrote:

    > Acutally, I think 1% overhead at the macro level is very poor.  That's
    > the overhead for SubDomain with the security checks running in the worst
    > possible case.  If the basic LSM infrastructure costs 1%, then that's way
    > too much.

    That was actually what I was saying, 1% is the worts possible case.
    (see my previous posting to see what impact is found for "most" cases").

    > > My hunch is that the LTT represents a rough lower-bound for the
    > > performance of a flexible security module interface.
    >
    > I was thinking of LTT as an upper bound :-)

    I beg to differ and would even go as far as to challenge you to do
    better (something I rarely do, by the way). I don't think you can
    get any lower of impact with the broad coverage of events provided
    by LTT. Remember what this maximum 1% is. It is the cost of inserting
    the hooks in the kernel, nothing else. There's no inclusion of any
    tracing code in this. The 1% represents an upper bound of how much
    it costs to call the trace_event() function at key places in the
    kernel. I have a hard time seing how you could reduce this cost
    to anything less. Especially since what is being measured is the
    time taken to call a single function, that only does a "return",
    at key places in the kernel.

    Keep in mind that, in most cases, the impact is lower than 0.25%.

    Cheers,

    Karim