Re: Benchmarks (was Re: Hooking into Linux using the LTT)

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2001 - 09:38:31 PDT

    Karim Yaghmour wrote:

    > Bottom line is, there aren't 52 ways to skin a cat. Inserting hooks
    > is inserting hooks, whichever way you want to see it.

    How to insert a hook is not really at issue.  How many, and which, hooks to
    insert is the question.

    LTT has much broader design goals than LSM.  If LTT achieves its design goals,
    then by definition, it is not right as-is for LSM.  It either needs to be cut
    down, or its pieces copied into the thing we do build.

    > A question begs to be asked: "How small can hooking cost?". However
    > you may answer the question, you are certainly aware that there is
    > a minimal cost that will have to be paid to accomodate this functionnality.

    "This functionality" being the rub:  fewer hooks -> lower overhead.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.