Re: GACI item list - to give some items for discussion

From: richard offer (offerat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2001 - 10:34:17 PDT

    * $ from dawat_private at "13-Apr:11:12pm" | sed "1,$s/^/* /"
    *

    [snip]

    *
    * If your modules can support allowed_to_open(), and my modules
    * can deliberately skip implementing it, can we both go home happy?

    Yes, as long as you accept that your applications will only work on your system
    and mine will only work on mine. Oh, and common apps such as sendmail, apache,
    X need to support everbody's policies on a run-time basis....

    * Or are you suggesting that supporting allowed_to_open() should be
    * mandatory for all modules?
    *

    I think what I'm suggesting is the need for something to do for access control
    decisions what PAM did for authentication decisions, applications no longer
    have to hard-code their decisions for a policy fixed at compile time.

    I don't so much care whether its plugable modules or system calls, as an
    application developer I want one API that works no matter what the underlying
    security policy is.

    Linus's design statement doesn't only apply to the kernel, the same logic
    applies to any large application that makes security decisions.

    richard.