Re: GACI item list - to give some items for discussion

From: Casey Schaufler (caseyat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2001 - 13:41:14 PDT

    Crispin Cowan wrote:

    > "allowed_to_open()" already exists:  it is called "access(2)".  Say "man 2
    > access" for details.

    access(2) is a queer duck. It uses regular path lookup
    to the final component, but the realuid for the object itself.
    Further, it does not deal with conditions which exist
    today, such as read-only file systems and immutable bits.
    It's useless if you want to do anything with extended
    policies, as you have to set the process attributes
    before the call. Often you want to do the check to
    determine if you should set a non-resetable attribute.

    A useful function, first proposed in literature by
    W. Olin Sibert, would be one which you pass a bunch
    of security attributes for the subject and a set for
    the object along with a proposed access and you get
    back a best guess answer. It could be implemented
    strictly in userland for many policies. On the other
    hand, I've never seens a reasonable specification
    for the call.

    --

    Casey Schaufler				Manager, Trust Technology, SGI
    caseyat_private				voice: 650.933.1634