Re: backward compat / access (was Re: Benchmarks)

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 02:40:03 PDT

    * Luc Pardon <lucpat_private> [010418 01:02]:
    > An application developer may want to inform the user that (s)he
    > doesn't have sufficient rights to do something, without actually
    > attempt to do that "something" and set off all kinds of alarms.

    While I think I understand the reasoning involved, I know *I* would like
    to keep Linux as source-compatible with other Unix-like and Unix
    operating systems as possible. A mess of new syscalls (or one new
    syscall with a generic interface and many library wrappers) would only
    encourage non-standard code.

    Furthermore, I don't know if requiring the module to support such query
    interfaces is a good idea either -- the policy a module may desire to
    implement may wish to restrict this sort of information. Requiring the
    module to support query interfaces would leak this information, going
    against the module's design policy.

    Is the added functionality worth encouraging non-standard code and
    forcing modules to implement this particular piece of policy just to
    avoid setting off bells that most well-behaved programs won't be setting
    off?

    [As usual, feel free to rip my ideas apart. Don't be shy. :]

    --
    Earthlink: The #1 provider of unsolicited bulk email to the Internet.