Re: Low-cost hooks, multiple modules, per-task data

From: Karim Yaghmour (karymat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 22:22:37 PDT

    Crispin Cowan wrote:

    > I think that the self-modifying-code approach is likely to bounce, as it
    > completely breaks on ROM'd systems.  With Linux's current momentum into embedded
    > space, I suspect that self-modifying code would be rejected out of hand.

    I personnally have many occasions to see how Linux gets to be used in
    the embedded world and must admit that very few people choose to play
    things this way, even though this scheme has received its share of
    publicity. The reality is that most people will have a flash image
    that uncompresses in real RAM. For the zealous, I'd suggest a slower
    way of doing things (if(hook_active) call_hook()). Or course, both
    could be transparent as far as what the added code looks like.

    That being said, I'm no expert at what goes in and what doesn't, so
    there is a possibility it may bounce, but there's no harm in trying
    to push the optimal solution.

    Cheers,

    Karim