Re: Hook function suggestion

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 13:05:54 PDT

    Amon Wrote:

    > My concern is to get control as early as possible and then keep it until
    > system is switched off.

    This is still my own biggest issue.  There are certain times when a system
    is less vulnerable (while booting before init rolls and the interfaces
    open up, for example.)  While absolute trust and a self-defending
    bootstrap sequence is desirable (and out of the scope of this discussion),
    getting that security module up and on guard before anything that is
    not absolutely necessary loads is critical.

    Lots of services are not available at the early points, but, those that
    are can be used by a smart module to help protect the rest of the boot.
    Once that module's in place, i'd think it'd pretty much defend vmlinuz
    and /proc/kmem and anything else "hardware".  If it's ultimately
    successful, the BIOS flash and kernel mangle become extremely unlikely,
    once it's awake.

    Agreed: it ain't perfect, but the earlier the better.

    Any thoughts on the "absolute earliest" this could be accomplished?  Maybe
    a SecureLilo or "first thing on the agenda" for the kernel itself?

    Thanks,
    J. Melvin Jones