Re: Benchmarks (was Re: Hooking into Linux using the LTT)

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 11:31:12 PDT

    On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Greg KH wrote:

    > On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 01:15:33PM -0400, jmjonesat_private wrote:
    > >
    > > I agree, but I think we should discuss "standard" levels of indirection.
    > > Build the basic structure in such a way that we could provide other
    > > interfaces that would impose greater overhead to support modules that are
    > > at a "higher (different?)" level of abstraction.
    > >
    > > Build a "low-level" interface that imposes minimal overhead, then stack
    > > a few "higher level" standard functions on top of that.  A loadable
    > > security module SHOULD be as easy to implement as we can manage (er, you
    > > can manage) to be as generally useful as possible.
    >
    > Hm, that sounds nice and vague.  I too believe in Mom and apple pie :)

    Mom, apple pie, baseball, and USABILITY from a human aspect are
    important.  If only a handful of geeks (no insult intended, i proudly
    declare MYSELF a "geek" (albeit a lesser one)) can implement a module,
    that's a pretty poor interface.

    > To get specific, do you see any problems in the currently proposed code
    > that I posted with the interface?

    Not yet, but I'm working on it.  It's pretty good (imho) right now for
    a "Level I" interface... although I'm still tracing out the code.

    While I *understand* that "the code is the thing" right now, comments on
    if it works are meaningless unless we discuss "what it SHOULD
    do."  Sorry, but you can build a PERFECT square, and it will still never
    fit a round hole.

    > I do, but I've already pointed out that the second pointer dereference
    > will be going away for the final implementation due to the speed issues.

    Good.  You're a good coder.  You evaluate your own output for flaws.
    That's a sign of high intelligence and good moral character.  Am I
    the ONLY one still interested in discussing WHY code SHOULD do, instead
    of HOW?

    > thanks,
    >
    > greg k-h

    Thanks, likewise,
    J. Melvin Jones

    P.S. -- This is NOT intended as a flame.  I think greg k-h has
    done WONDERFUL work, but I still think there're things to be considered
    if Greg's work is to get the final "stamp of approval."  Sorry, Greg.