Re: A Comment from User Space

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 12:09:47 PDT

    > "On an access error, the LSM will set the process external var 'errno'
    > to EFASCIST, and fill in the structure pointed to by the user process
    > 'struct *lsm_opaque_data *sec_err_explain' (after checking that the
    > pointer is non-NIL and in the address space and all that)".

    Sounds good (aside from the interesting return code designation), except
    it raises the issue of Legacy Code that may not be prepared for a unique
    return.  Perhaps simply a -EPERM (which may have a better chance of
    already being managed (yes, I know, could very well be what you
    intended).)

    What about a single, documented, standard call that may or may not return
    anything useful, depending on the policy/module in place?

    lsm_advisory_type * lsm_error(lsm_advisory_type *lat);

    which would fill in the structure (or whatever) with something standardly
    meaningful or just NULL or "I COULD TELL YOU, BUT THEN I'D HAVE TO
    KILL YOU" or the equivalent?

    > That way, for instance, SELinux could fill in the pointer to pass info
    > back to /bin/passwd if it desired, and RBSAC could fill it in as it
    > needed, and so on.  We *may* want to have a 2-4 byte magic cookie
    > at the front, identifying the LSM in effect, so programs written to
    > support multiple LSM can identify which one is being used.

    Don't like.  Don't want to have to write 30 different handlers for 30
    different LSMs... want them to look the SAME.

    J. Melvin Jones