Re: Querying LSM for Permission (was Re: A Comment from User Space)

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 08:58:32 PDT

    Shane Kerr wrote:

    > On 2001-04-24 00:27:58 +0000, Crispin Cowan wrote:
    > > I submit that the number is "very nearly zero."  At the moment,
    > > anyway, I'm more convinced by the arguments that a well-constructed
    > > app. just does what it is supposed to do, and doesn't try to probe to
    > > see what is permitted.
    >
    > I (mostly) agree with this.  One thing that does make me wonder if there
    > should be a standard (or even recommendation) for allowing
    > administrators to examine permissions.

    Since permissions is a per-module thing, checking permissions also needs to
    be per module.  For instance, under SubDomain you check permissions by
    going & looking at the conf files.  Under SELinux, there appear to be
    system calls & utilities to do that.  Standardizing these very different
    models would be hard.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.