Re: Some feedback on the hooks

From: Chris Wright (chrisat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 10:02:53 PDT

    * Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private) wrote:

    > On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Chris Wright wrote:
    >
    > > yes, i had the same needs and made ptrace take two task_struct pointers.
    >
    > Was this change supposed to go into the latest patch?  It doesn't
    > appear to be there.

    yeah, it missed the patch, sorry for any confusion.

    > > i added this.  compute_creds is now part of the lsm interface.
    >
    > Rather than changing all calls to compute_creds to call the LSM hook, I
    > would suggest leaving a minimal compute_creds function that handles
    > the setuid/setgid processing and calls the LSM hook for all other work.
    > Otherwise, how will the system work with a null security module?

    That sounds fine.

    > By the way, I think that the latest patch is broken for this reason -
    > I get a kernel NULL pointer dereference during initialization in
    > load_elf_binary, regardless of whether the capabilities plug is
    > statically linked or dynamically inserted.

    now this does not surprise me.  i alluded to the fact that it had only been
    compiled (but wasn't that explicit about the fact that i haven't run it
    yet).  i'll move the compute_creds stuff around and work on making sure the
    kernel actually runs.

    > What if you took an incremental approach - add a hook now to capable so
    > that you have immediate coverage of all existing capable calls, and
    > then incrementally insert your own finer-grained hooks into the same
    > locations as the current capable calls (in order of priority, starting
    > with highly privileged operations whose capabilities are too coarse
    > grained), and then ultimately remove the hook from capable when/if
    > you address all of the individual capable calls.  Personally, I
    > don't think you'll ever reach that last stage - the amount of work
    > doesn't seem justified by the value added.  I would expect you to
    > stop with a mixture of hooks for operations where we want finer-grained
    > control plus the wide ranging coverage provided by the existing
    > capable calls.

    That works for me.  The only thing, is that we have to be able to move all
    of capabilities into a module.  so the capable() call would become part of
    the lsm interface.