Re: 2001_05_09 patch against 2.4.4

From: Shane Kerr (shane@time-travellers.org)
Date: Tue May 15 2001 - 23:53:53 PDT

    On 2001-05-15 17:08:32 +0000, Chris Wright wrote:

    > I ran into some problems using the firewall code directly (in 2.2).
    > First and foremost...all inbound packet filtering happens on the
    > bottom half.  This means you don't have relevant process context for
    > making process based decisions.  I haven't looked closely at 2.4 yet,
    > but I assume this is the same.  This means we will at least have to
    > add hooks to accomodate these needs.  With 2.2 there were a few other
    > issues with the ipchains code that made it unusable (sorry, I can't
    > remember off the top of my head what they were).  I'm hopeful that
    > iptables will not give the same headache.  The idea of a clone device
    > might allieviate the need to run inbound packet checks in the top
    > half...hmm...

    Slightly offtopic, esp. because I don't consider the original proposal
    very compelling, but...

    I haven't looked at it closely either, but according to various articles
    I've read you *can* filter based on process, at least to a certain
    level.

    Quoted from the Linux 2.4 Packet Filtering HOWTO:

    owner

        This module attempts to match various characteristics of the packet
        creator, for locally-generated packets. It is only valid in the
        OUTPUT chain, and even then some packets (such as ICMP ping

        --uid-owner userid
            Matches if the packet was created by a process with the given
            effective (numerical) user id.

        --gid-owner groupid
            Matches if the packet was created by a process with the given
            effective (numerical) group id.

        --pid-owner processid
            Matches if the packet was created by a process with the given
            process id.

        --sid-owner sessionid
            Matches if the packet was created by a process in the given
            session group.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/resource_files/firewalls/packet-filtering-HOWTO/packet-filtering-HOWTO.linuxdoc-7.html

    Shane