stackable modules

From: Matt Block (blockdevat_private)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 10:53:19 PDT

    I've been lurking for a month.  This message will no doubt
    demonstrate that a month was not enough.

    For stacking modules, it seems that the multiplexor approach
    is much cleaner and more powerful than a chaining approach.
    It appears (from language like, "pass it down the chain")
    that the original recommendation was for a sort of linked
    list of modules- this, of course, will cause hell when the
    admin decides to unload a module in the middle of the chain,
    particularly if there is no way to pass the requirements
    of that module around (so as to rip the appropriate stuff
    out of the security blob).  It also offers no clear way
    to add a module once the chain has been established.

    My (probably naïve) question is, "why must the LSM be aware
    of this at all?"  Not being a kernel hacker of any great
    talent or experience, I've always sort of thought that a
    module can do anything any other kernel code can do.  It
    may put a significant burden on the poor sod who writes the
    multiplexor, but why would it be particularly difficult for
    the multiplexor module to detect when another module attempts
    to register(), add the appropriate cruft to the blob, and
    get on with life?  Would it require the multiplexor to unregister
    and re-register?  Would that be really really bad?  Why is
    the sky blue?

    I've also sort of always held the notion that the whole
    point of a kernel module interface is to allow for simple
    and quick runtime configuration of a kernel.  That is, the
    whole idea seems to be building small (kernel-space) tools
    for small jobs, and combining them to suit a need.  Aside
    from some small performance gain in not having to follow
    hooks around, it's not clear to me what advantage a giant,
    monolithic kernel module has over, say, a giant, monolithic
    kernel.  That LSM hooks should support as many modules as
    require them without too much fuss _seems_ pretty central.
    What am I missing?

      -- Matt