Re: permissive vs. restrictive issue and solutions...

From: David Wagner (dawat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 11:56:37 PDT

    >On 1 Jun 2001, David Wagner wrote:
    >> Elegant?  Not from a software engineering point of view.
    >> Almost every module will have a cut-and-pasted copy of the base
    >> logic.  Software engineering teaches us that code duplication is
    >> bad: If you ever want to change that code, making the appropriate
    >> change in all necessary places is difficult.
    >
    >I know I'm going to get into trouble here, but ... doesn't that presume
    >that all the changes are going to be the same?

    Two reasons why code duplication is risky:
    - If there's a bug in the base logic, you'll want to change
      everyone's copy of it, but that's hard.
    - If everyone has to cut-and-paste the code, inevitably someone
      will cut-and-paste incorrectly, and that's hard to detect.
    These are some of the usual arguments for reuse of shared code,
    the value of inheritance in object-oriented languages, and so on.