Re: permissive vs. restrictive issue and solutions...

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 16:47:56 PDT

    On Sat, 2 Jun 2001, Crispin Cowan wrote:

    > So here's yet another idea:  split the LSM interface into two parts, permissive
    > and restrictive.  Designers that want purely restrictive functionality use only
    > the restrictive parts, and thus get easier/higher assurance. Those who want
    > permissive functionality can turn it on if they need it.
    >
    > "Split" may be an over-statement.  Perhaps just a global switch that can disable
    > the permissive interfaces would suffice?  Then a module designer could turn off
    > permissiveness, and be assured that their module will "at least do no harm."
    >
    > Crispin
    >
    > --
    > Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    > Chief Scientist, WireX Communications, Inc. http://wirex.com
    > Security Hardened Linux Distribution:       http://immunix.org
    > Available for purchase: http://wirex.com//Products/Immunix/purchase.html

    *LOL*, maybe I should "think some more before posting", but this is (to
    me) a "hot topic"

    If you create

    #define NO_KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECKS

    and slice off all the native checks in

    #ifndef NO_KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECKS
    (kernel logic here, assigned to err)
    #else
    err=0; // Or some special "didn't check" value.
    #endif

    if (err=lsm_check(err,arguments...))...

    that answers most of my problems, and, I think, answers the "restrictive
    only side", since it can still have "assurance." The small "stack push"
    overhead is acceptable to me.  Too bad C doesn't overload functions. :)

    I withdraw all my arguments against #3 in that instance.  It's
    functionally similar to my "shared code" argument, but leaves the
    ACTUAL ASCII in the main kernel code.

    Sincerely,
    J. Melvin Jones