Re: Assurance, permissiveness, and restriction

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 07:59:21 PDT

    A little more clearly, I think, and I submit it for
    consideration as an option in the new list:

    Push logic out of the kernel wherever necessary to
    isolate the "permissive/restrictive" issue.

    security_scaffold_startup() uses "STANDARD", which is
    preloaded with subordinate module "DUMMY".  STANDARD
    contains all the existing kernel logic with the hooks evaluated
    to be "restrictive-only", and calls DUMMY restrictive-only.

    A function "verify_standard_security()" is added that modules
    can call... true if STANDARD is the prevailing module,
    false if it is not.

    Modules needing the "STANDARD", register subordinately using
    mod_reg, mod_unreg after verifying standard is in place, and
    STANDARD replaces DUMMY with the new module.

    Modules NOT needing "STANDARD", register with
    register_security(), and subsequently verify_standard_security()
    fails.  If "unregister_security()" is later used, STANDARD is
    restored, and verify_standard_security() again returns true.

    Perhaps, "locking" STANDARD (refusal to allow another register) with
    anything but DUMMY in place is necessary, also.

    Where capability plug fits into all this ... beats me, it
    is permissive/restrictive to begin with so messes up the whole
    "more restrictive" requirement.

    Sincerely,
    J. Melvin Jones