Re: permissive vs. restrictive issue and solutions...

From: Titus D. Winters (titusat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 10:14:32 PDT

    On an off-topic and statistical note, I'd like to say that this data is
    fairly meaningless in a statistical sense.

    2 out of 1 million test cases were pathological enough to skew a
    statistical analysis.  This is not surprising.

    However, I don't think that the kernel logic contains any pathological
    cases.  And as for the 500 cases where 2 or more tests fail, a quick C
    writeup shows that if 27 independant processes are choosing 1% of 1 millon
    tests to fail on, there should be closer to 27,000 tests where 2 fail.  If
    the rate of fail is 0.1% then it is at about 300 tests where 2 fail.  This
    with a completely random distribution.

    Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

    Sorry, tis a slow morning for me.  Easily distracted.

    -Titus