notify_change and the setattr hook

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 08:31:00 PDT

    In considering the whole question of making the permission hook
    authoritative (whether by passing the kernel decision to it or by moving
    the kernel logic into the module), it occurred to me that the setattr hook
    in notify_change poses a more difficult problem.  If the file system does
    not implement its own inode setattr routine, then notify_change separates
    the access checking (the call to inode_change_ok) from setting the
    attributes (the call to inode_setattr). So we could easily pass the result
    of the inode_change_ok logic or move that logic into the setattr hook,
    allowing the setattr hook to be authoritative in this case.

    But if the file system defines its own inode setattr routine, then there
    is no separation at this level - the inode setattr routine is expected to
    both check access and set the attributes.  Furthermore, in some cases,
    like remote file systems, the actual access checking may not be
    performed at all on the local system - it may be handled entirely by the
    server.  So in this situation the setattr hook can only be restrictive.

    --
    Stephen D. Smalley, NAI Labs
    ssmalleyat_private