Re: module's use of security_ops

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 06:35:44 PDT

    On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Chris Wright wrote:

    > Assuming no one else has major objections, consider the security_ops
    > struct exported.

    No major objection, but could we preserve some of the "obscurity factor"
    by creating a

    get_security_ops()

    call, which passes to the module and could return -EPERM?  My thinking is:

    * Drivers, etcetera, could access it if it was within module policy,

    * It reduces the exposure of the structure to areas of the kernel+modules
      where it may not be necessary.

    By exposing it entirely, you bypass the sanity and "locking" effects
    of the current code, don't you?  Also, exposing it globally allows a
    "bypass security crack" to live in ANY loadable entity, doesn't it?

    Yes, I have been told that "once you can install a module you're pretty
    much lost anyway", but a "policy" was in force that prevented it (one
    primary registration only) that is now lost.

    Being a Naive PITA Again,
    J. Melvin Jones