Re: permissive vs. restrictive issue and solutions...

From: David Wagner (dawat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 17:26:49 PDT

    Chris Wright  wrote:
    >* David Wagner (dawat_private) wrote:
    >> Chris Wright  wrote:
    >> >2. Maintain current set of hooks and push logic out of the kernel and into
    >> >the module to avoid placing hooks in compound conditionals.
    >>
    >> Now I know that this assurance argument is going to inevitably become
    >> harder to verify with a LSM, but if we follow option #2, things really
    >> get nasty.  To verify the assurance claim, one must examine all code
    >> *and verify that it includes a proper cut-and-pasted version of the base
    >> kernel logic*.  Such verification is non-trivial, and my motto is that
    >> if it is non-trivial, it is probably wrong.
    >
    >I agree, if you catch yourself cutting and pasting something is wrong.
    >But I'm not convinced this method requires cutting and pasting.  I think
    >it becomes an arguement in favor of module composition.

    Yes, I agree.  If we are willing to re-open the issue of composition
    and consider how to handle composition, at least in the special cases
    needed to make #2 work, then my comments go away.  In this case, #2
    looks like a perfectly nice approach, one that -- assuming we can solve
    the associated composition problems -- I'd be happy to praise.  I was
    operating under the perhaps mistaken assumption that module composition
    was off the table.  Sorry about not being more explicit.