Re: module's use of security_ops

From: jmjonesat_private
Date: Sat Jun 09 2001 - 13:16:09 PDT

    Dr. Cowan,

    Thank you very much for the reference.  I stand corrected.
    Drop #5 from my worries (or actually, eliminate exporting
    security_ops from my list of current concerns.)

    I agree that, if they're going to crack it, they're going
    to crack it no matter how difficult finding security_ops
    may be.  Actually, even without exporting the symbol, it's
    not that hard to find if one is "motivated".  The small advantage of
    enforcing a common access point for manipulating it does not outweigh
    the potential value of providing alternate means.  Some code (modules),
    must be trusted... if it can get into the system in the first place.
    Having a kernel's left hand distrusting its right hand simply causes too
    many problems.

    I apologize for my concern.

    Sincerely,
    J. Melvin Jones